Chronicles of my 2-year adventure through Namibia as a PCV.
With great excitement I accepted The Peace Corps' invitation to serve for 27 months in Namibia. Through this blog I will look to provide an updated (as much as possible) catalog of my journey. The thoughts and feelings within this blog in no way represent those of Peace Corps or The US Government.

Subscribe to the Blog

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Bad Breaks and Heartbreak

Well, I met someone here. We were introduced about a week or two after my arrival in Swakop and I’ve been seeing her since. My co-worker’s fiancé introduced us. He had come across her and thought that we’d really click. For a while he was right. He dropped her off at my house one day in October. I spent most of my first few hours with her not talking much. She really isn’t one for words. It was the little non-verbal cues – the posture, the eye contact, the presence. She was captivating.

I liked her because she’s complex. When we started talking about her past it was clear to me that she had her fair share of bad turns. She’d seen a lifetimes worth of pain and suffering, mistreatment and abuse. But she still stood strong. Held together by a thread, maybe, but standing nonetheless. For a while, it was perfect. Until she began to let me down. I don’t want to say she began to quit on me, because I don’t think that’s fair. I just think I expected too much of her. I should’ve been more pragmatic. More understanding. But I felt abandoned. Mostly, I felt stuck. If it wasn’t her wheels, it was her chain. If it wasn’t her chain, it was her handlebars. Let me explain.

I feel it’s time that I introduce you all to her. Here is a picture of my new (but otherwise old) bike. 


The white-almost-brown-rusted frame looks brand new compared to the crusty chain that looks like it was excavated from a sunken ship just last week. But as long as it works, I don’t mind too much. Not until I get on to ride the bike at which point my butt pierces with pain at each pedal against the hard shell plastic seat. My Peace Corps issued helmet has a softer exterior than the unbreakable, soft-as-a-baby-boulder, arguably a torture technique of a seat that I ride on. And to tease me, the bike has an 6 gear-shifter that has no wire attached to it. It just sits there on the handle bars and taunts me with what I could have had if I got to this bike before Y2K. And that’s the toughest part about it. I’ll be riding and I’ll think of what a bike she must have been in her glory years. Back when she had two functioning brakes instead of half of one. It’s so sad to see a legend out of his or her prime. Silly thing still thinks she is a great one.

She crapped out on me about two weeks ago. Technically I can go and get her fixed, but I can’t manage to swallow the frustration and, for the fifth time, go to get another part of her fixed.

A week after buying her, the back tire popped. I went to a bike repair place in town. As I was riding away the front tire blew out. Went back to the same place and got that fixed. A couple weeks later, rushing to a meeting I was late for, the screw connecting the handlebars to the bike came off. I was holding the handlebars with my left hand and steering from the base of the handlebar area with my right. Quite the task. Went and got that fixed too. A couple days later the chain came off the cogs. My sitemate Justin, having his fair share of bike experience, fixed that up for me. For a while things were going well – until the back tire popped again. I swore this would be the last thing I would fix. I went, bought a brand new tire track and got the tire tube replaced. Surely this would solve the problem for good. And it did. That problem anyways. As I was riding it home, the chain came off again. All I have to do is ask Justin to take another look at it, but I can’t. I hope you understand why. At a certain point you have to say, “Technology has failed me and broken my heart”. I know I can always rely on my own two legs. Plus, it gives me more time to Podcast. But every morning, as I lace up my shoes and get ready to walk out the door, I look at her with longing eyes. I do miss her. She just wants to be out on the open road. And I want to bring her there. I just need some space, I guess. Some time to think about her and me. Sometime to think about what it means to be a bike owner.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kaan! We love this blog and mourn the loss of your trusty old bike. I wanted to let you know that this post was featured this week in our round up of our favorite PCV blogs. You can find it at: http://bit.ly/1HWEWyq :)

    ReplyDelete